Today we are talking about the important stuff in a business – conflict in the workplace, sexual harassment and mediation with Ellen Kandall who is a litigator turned mediator and trainer. Our conversation starts with how people in her position can help an organization but once we get to sexual harassment, the conversation gets really valuable. Maybe I’m a little biased because it’s my podcast, but honestly this is important stuff and not enough people are educated on what to do.
Ellen is a former member of Select Business Team and joined when we first started back in the early 2000’s. Over time, her business has evolved, and being part of a weekly meeting didn’t fit her training schedule.
During the conversation, we spent a few minutes talking about how she has transformed herself from being a practicing lawyer to helping with facilitation and conflict resolution and providing sexual harassment training. In my opinion, this conversation is powerful and essential for every business owner to hear.
QUESTIONS WE ASK ELLEN
Dealing with conflict in the office environment and using a mediator to create resolution
- How do families and companies benefit from using a neutral party for dealing with difficult situations
- What type of impact is there on HR departments that use a mediator for handling conflicts
- Describe what is involved in sexual harassment training
- Explain a team effectiveness survey?
- How is a workplace climate report beneficial to organizations?
MEDIATION AND OTHER THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM LISTENING
- How Mediation, arbitration, Facilitation and Training can benefit an organization in the area of conflict resolution
- Creating systems and outsourcing projects to create a more functional business
- Typical business challenge of marketing
- The difference between mediation and arbitration
- Different aspects of Sexual harassment and bullying training
- What companies need to consider if there is a hostile working environment
- How to engage employees in conflict resolution
RESOURCES AVAILABLE TO YOU
Heroic Public Speaking – We briefly talked about this organization during the conversation. If you are looking to polish your skills as a speaker/trainer, this is a great program to attend. They have a conference each fall which is usually in Philadelphia. You might also want to check out his book, Steal The Show which provides great insights into speaking. Check it out. You won’t be disappointed. This is my affiliate link, which means I’ll earn a few dollars if you buy from this link…but you own’t pay more for the book if you buy it this way!
Book Yourself Solid – Is another book by Michael Port. It was published in the early 2000’s and it’s a great read. This is my affiliate link, which means I’ll earn a few dollars if you buy from this link…but you own’t pay more for the book if you buy it this way!
We talked about doing presentations and I mentioned Joey Coleman and his workshop on presentations. His book, Never Lose A Customer Again: Turn Any Sale Into Lifelong Loyalty In 100 Days, gets rave reviews. Check it out. Like with Book Yourself Solid, this is my affiliate link, which means I’ll earn a few dollars if you buy from this link…but you own’t pay more for the book if you buy it this way!
SELECT BUSINESS TEAM
- Interested in learning more about Select Business Team? If so, check out where our teams are meeting.
- Can’t find one in your area? Don’t worry, we can help you start one. Give us a call to discuss further (Click here to schedule a time to chat)
- Did you like this conversation? If so, leave us a review on iTunes! Not everyone knows how to access ITunes, so we’ve created a handy chart to help you leave a review! Click here and follow these instructions.
ABOUT OUR GUEST – ELLEN KANDELL
Ellen Kandell is the owner of Alternative Resolutions. If you want to learn more about mediation and her other services, connect with her on: